If your home theater or stereo is also not supported, you can add a stereo adapter to hook up wireless speakers to your old stereo. The most economical solution is to connect a wireless receiver to the line in on your amplifier or hi-fi system.
Digital Audio and video are certainly more common these days, many audiophiles and music purists still prefer the natural sound of older analog amplifiers and receivers, but using older stereo receivers or amplifiers usually also means cumbersome cables to connect the speakers. Modern wireless speaker systems allow you to remove the cables by using an adapter that plugs into the headphone jack on the receiver.
Methods To Connect Wireless Speakers To Stereo Receiver
Method 1. Connect Wireless Speakers to a Receiver via Bluetooth
The first and easiest way to connect your wireless speakers to the receiver is via Bluetooth. Today, many wireless speakers use Bluetooth technology for a smooth and easy connection. In addition, numerous manufacturers produce AV receivers with built-in Bluetooth. Therefore, if you’re still looking for an AV receiver to buy, you can always opt for the one that already has this technology. Manufacturers offer many affordable solutions you can look into.
This method involves the following steps
- To pair your receiver with wireless speakers via Bluetooth, you will first have to enable the Bluetooth transmitter mode on your AVR.
- Then, you should make sure that all of the devices you want to connect have Bluetooth turned on and that they are visible.
- The next step depends on the model you have.
- I recommend you to check out the manuals your speakers and your receivers came with. They should include instructions on how to connect the device to other gadgets via Bluetooth.
Method 2. By using USB cables
If your AV receiver features a USB port and a headphone input then the following are the steps to connect the wireless speaker to the stereo speakers
- The headphone output from your source device is connected to the transmitter’s mini-jack input.
- You may need a 6.35 mm-to-mini-jack adapter for this option.
- The transmitter is then activated by plugging it into the USB port of the receiver.
- The receiver and the wireless speaker are then paired via Bluetooth connectivity.
Methods 3. By using RCA cables
This method involves the following steps
- If your audio source doesn’t have a headphone output, you can use the RCA audio output located at the back of your receiver.
- You’ll need to use the RCA-to-mini-jack audio cable to connect your Bluetooth transmitter to the receiver.
- Then, enable the Bluetooth function of both devices and pair them to enjoy a wireless audio/visual experience.
Method 4. Connect Wireless Speakers to a Receiver with Cables
You certainly didn’t purchase your wireless speakers only to turn them into wired ones! However, sometimes, things go wrong, Bluetooth doesn’t work, or your receiver and your speakers won’t connect for some reason. So, here is a way to save the day without purchasing additional equipment.
A lot of wireless speakers come with AUX or headphone jacks. For instance, many Bose speakers have an AUX port. These ports will let you connect them with other devices in case the wireless option goes wrong.
It involves the following steps
- You just have to find an AUX cable and then plug one end into your speaker and the other end into the receiver.
- Play some music to see if you did everything right.
- We should mention that this is definitely not the best way to connect your wireless speakers, but it’s good to know that you can always try using the AUX cable in case you are left with no other option.
- Note: Using an AUX or any other input may not be a viable option with all the wireless speakers. For example, some SONOS speakers (like SONOS ONE) don’t have any physical inputs – they only support wireless connections.
To Sum Up
I hope I have helped you learn how to connect wireless speakers to a receiver. If you’ve read my article carefully, you already know that the easiest and cheapest way to connect wireless speakers to a receiver is through Bluetooth.
Bluetooth can pair the devices with the help of a Bluetooth transmitter. You can get a Bluetooth transmitter in almost every electronics store.
Since there are a lot of good products on the market, I recommend doing a little research to find out which works best with your receiver.